Monday, August 16, 2010

My Dog...

Okay, she isn't my dog anymore. This is Miss Smartypants. My best friend had given her to me when they had a pregnant Rottweiler come into their yard. They fed her, cared for her, and she birthed 13 puppies, but only five survived. Miss Smartypants was the runt of the litter, and she came to me and my ex-husband. She stayed behind in California when I moved to Pennsylvania, and she's very happy in the home she grew up in, with her dad who takes her to the dog park all the time! 

True to her name, she is a brilliant and mischievous dog! It took quite a lot of work to potty train her, but she figured out how to get her treats out of her Kong in about a day. She had several ways of doing this, and it always took her around 1 - 5 minutes, depending on the difficulty of the type of treat that went into the Kong. She learned so many commands and dog tricks, as teaching her was simply a matter of outstaying her stubbornness. That's no easy thing, really. She always KNEW how to follow directions, it was just a matter of making her understand that it was in her best interest to do so! Thus, many treats were distributed, and her toys kept out of reach until she behaved properly! If you've ever known or had any Rotties, you'll know what I'm talking about!

I miss her a lot, even though she's a very independent soul who didn't much care for a lot of outward displays of affection. She just wanted to play games, run around, chase other dogs, or the cats, and maybe chew on a bone for a while. She is a sweetheart! I hope to see her again someday....  

No comments:

Post a Comment